Unknown car - Can you solve the mystery?

Connecticut circa 1918 (from the collection of the author)

I don't usually offer up a mystery car, but in this case I'm stumped. I acquired this image in an antique store a few months back and the car is noted as a Buick (written in pencil on the back). I'm fairly certain it's not a Buick. The car wears a 1918 Connecticut license plate, however the car itself is earlier - probably 1911 or 1912. It appears to be an American make of mid-price range. The photo is not the greatest, but you can click on it to enlarge.

The challenge is on. Please leave me a comment and let me know the year and make. 

UPDATE: Blog reader Ariejan Bos has suggested that this car may be a 1911 or 1912 Haynes. Great suggestion, Ariejan

7 comments:

  1. My very first idea would of course be a Simplex model 50 of around 1910.
    At least the shape of the radiator housing, bonnet, starter handle, leaf springs, the headlamps and extra lightning next to the 2-part front window is resembling this type very neatly.

    see for example: http://www.conceptcarz.com/z23555/Simplex-Model-50.aspx

    Wondering whether this might help.
    BJ Boersma

    ReplyDelete
  2. BJ, thanks for your comment. I don't think it's a simplex as the fenders and lamps (or lights) don't match the Simplex. To my eye, this car looks smaller in stature than a Simplex. Just my thoughts - I appreciate your comment. Thanks for following the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1912 Moyer Touring fewer then 10 are known to exist. www.devillecustoms.com we know are cars..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could be a Stearns http://www.wrhs.org/images/company_assets/512f1c7f-0d64-4a5e-9d91-785dc064755f/photo_gallery/3505c_1910_Stearns_Model_15-30_Touring

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why don't you take a look at Chalmers 36. 11 or 12. The hubcaps looks suspicious as do the headlights. All the same, I'm probably wrong.
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you search the IAS (Internet Archive Search) in the book "Connecticut Motor Vehicle Register (Volume 1920), page marked 322 (regs. 67001-67200) you'll see an entry for reg.no. 67053 for a 1918 CADILLAC Touring Car, Factory no. 187F560 in the name Abel F. Smith of Norfolk.
    I have the book "80 Years of Cadillac LaSalle" and this certainly looks like a Cadillac of that period. Hope this will help you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look closely, the license plate is actually a 1919 issue. The 1918 plates had the year "1918" stacked on the right hand side of the license.

      Zcarstvnz

      Delete