Pierce-Arrow Model 6-66

John Walsh's 1910 Pierce-Arrow Model 66-QQ

I'm on my way to Amelia Island for the Concours and related events, but before I leave I thought I'd share a sneak peak at a friend's 1910 Pierce-Arrow model 66-QQ. It's making it's first public showing at Amelia after an 8 year restoration process (much of it by the owner). I can't wait to see it under power.

1910 was the first year for the Model 66-QQ - the largest of the Pierce-Arrow in their lineup and the largest production engine (C.I.D) by an American manufacturer until the muscle car era. The Model 66-QQ is a massive car (even in it's day) and Pierce-Arrow produced only a small number (under 200 in 1910). Few Model 66's survive and this car is one of just three 1910's that I know of.

The year 1910 was a momentous one for the company as they move to producing only 6 cylinder cars; it was also the year they lost their founder - George N. Pierce. The company prospered throughout the next decade, making some of the finest automobiles in America, only to succumb to competitive pressures in 1938.

The Automobile, March 31, 1910

The Horseless Age, August 25, 1909


No comments:

Post a Comment