Packard and The Waterhouse Company

1930 Packard 745 Convertible Victoria by Waterhouse; owned at the time by Art Mellor.

1930 Packard 745 Waterhouse Convertable Victortia at RM Auction's St. John's sale.
Dad and I recently visited the Concourse d' Elegance of America at St. Johns, and with it the accompanying RM Auction. Among the cars, was a 1930 Packard 745 Deluxe Eight Convertible Victoria by Waterhouse. According to www.coachbuilt.com, the Waterhouse Company was established in 1928 by two longtime Judkins employees, Charles L. Waterhouse and his son, Moses Sargent Waterhouse. Based in Webster, MA, the company only built 296 bodies over a roughly 6 year run. The Convertible Victoria was one of their signature styles and they bodied 120 Packards in this manner. Of the 28 Waterhouse bodied cars know to survive, 5 are 1930 Packards and this car (chassis 185625) is the only Deluxe Eight. This car sold for $275,000 and is certainly a very attractive car (though the current colors are not my favorite). Upon returning home, Dad dug up this photo he took as a kid in the 1950's (note the 1956 Rhode Island plate). I believe this to be the same car due to the very unique accessory bumper (with lights) and the unique step plate within the running board - both features, I believe to be unique to this Waterhouse Convertible Victoria.

UPDATE: Dad notes that he took this picture at a meet at the Princeton Auto Museum (located in Princeton MA, Al Garganigo opened his personal collection of cars to the public in 1938. The museum was well know in the region, closing in 1963 - much of the collection was auctioned off in 1973).  The car was owned at the time by Mr. Art Mellor.

1 comment:

  1. I remember this car and Art Mellor going to Rolling Rhodies meets in R.I.. My father William W. Bell owned a 1929 Dietrich 745 dual cowl Packard. Art Mellor's was the most impressive of all Packards. I was 11 yrs.old at the time, remember he had a daughter about my age. I believe my dad's car is in Ma. Dark Blue with wire wheels the one time i saw it. Would love to see it again. The man with his back to us talking is Art Mellor. I have somewhere pictures of the car in a parade in Wakefield, R.I. where I live.
    Never thought I would see this car again. Thanks: Dennis Bell thebells7@cox.net

    ReplyDelete