2012 Scottsdale Auctions



How lucky we are to live in Arizona in January. The auction season as grown considerably over the past twenty years, and in my opinion, is better than ever. Each year, Dad comes out to visit and we make the rounds. I like to hit Barrett-Jackson early in the week - less crowds and you see more cars. You could certainly see Gordon McCall's efforts as this sale had some top quality vintage iron for the first time since Tom Barrett passed away. My personal favorite was the 1933 Pierce Arrow - what a fantastic car. Three cars have survived out of the five produced - I believe one of which is still in Tom Derro's collection in MA.  
 
Then on to Bonham's who was new to the scene this year - they may have the best location of all at the Westin. This was especially fun as I helped the Bonham's gang drive the cars over the block - thanks goes out to Rupert and Malcolm. Two of my favorites from their sale were David Davis' 1951 Cadillac Coupe and the ex-Harrah 1923 Duesenburg Model A.

Of course, we couldn't miss the RM sale at the Biltmore - always a good showing. I loved the 1931 Chrysler Imperial with the Waterhouse body. Waterhouse was a lesser known body company located close to where I grew up in MA.

Finally, Dad and I attended the preview breakfast at the Gooding & Co sale on Friday morning. David and his team never disappoint; possibly the best event of the week. It was fun to see the Model J with Murphy disappearing top sell - we have a friend who's owned another model J, Murphy disappearing top car for over 25 years.

Always a great week - I can't wait until next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment