1956 Maserati 450S

The 1957 12 Hours of Sebring winner - Maserati 450S Chassis #4503
I found this photo that I had taken at Amelia Island in 2009. At the time, I hadn't recognized the importance of this car. Maserati, in it's pursuit of the World Sports Car Championship apparently built 9 of these cars - a larger engine version of it's 300S competition cars. In 1957 they would be runner up to Ferrari for the championship. This car appears to be chassis #4503, one of 4 works cars and the winner of the 1957 12 Hours of Sebring Grand Prix at the hands of Juan Manuel Fangio and Jean Behra. Wow!

The car won the The Spirit of Sebring Award at Amelia Island - I should hope so. At the time, the car was stated as being owned by Fastwelve, LLC of Portland, OR. These guys appear to be a small group of private collectors with great cars. I see they have also shown a competition W194 Gullwing! Now I'm curious - I'd love to see the collection.


No comments:

Post a Comment